Year by year the China Wine Industry continues to grow as the world’s most populous nation acquires a taste for wine.
It is said that China’s love for the colour red has in particular propelled China in 2013 to become the world’s largest market for red wine, with over 1.8 billion bottles consumed.
With China’s domestic wine producing industry only in the early days of development, and with the country’s increasing prosperity, this has led to a huge increase in imports.
This got us thinking…. Where do these imports come from? Old world or new world? Does China even export wine too?
China Checkup has access to Chinese customs data and we used this to research the imports and exports of bottled wine.
These records were found to be under HS (Harmonized System) code number 2204: “Wine of fresh grapes, including fortified wines”.
You can find HS codes for yourself using websites such as this one.
Between January 2011 and October 2014 our research showed that the China wine industry imported a staggering US$3bn ($3,000,000,000) of wine.
For the period January 2011 to October 2014 imports by the China wine industry were analyzed and it was found that there were 26 countries with import values over $10,000.
We found that 96.3% of the market was taken by just 6 countries:
|Country||USD Import Value Jan 2011 - Oct 2014||Market Percentage|
Comparing this data to Wikipedia’s list of wine-producing countries, it suggests that France, Chile and Australia are doing extremely well in China, whilst Italy and Spain are really missing out.
In China at least, it appears that New World is beating Old World when it comes to wine sales.
It won’t surprise anyone to read that the huge growth in wine consumption in China has been accompanied by an equally huge expansion in the number of companies looking to get a share of the market.
However, imports to the China wine industry continue to be centered around the prosperous east coast cities, most notably Shanghai.
Below is a list of the top 8 Wine importers in Mainland China:
|Company||Location||USD Import Value Jan 2011 - Oct 2014||Market Percentage|
|ASC Fine Wines (Shanghai) Co., Ltd.||Shanghai||$247,100,000.00||8.5%|
|Shanghai C&D Trade Co., Ltd.||Shanghai||$167,900,000.00||5.8%|
|Tempus Warehousing (Shenzhen) Co., Ltd.||Shenzhen, Guangdong||$108,200,000.00||3.7%|
|Yantai Changyu Pioneer Wine Co., Ltd.||Yantai, Shandong||$88,800,000.00||3.1%|
|Moet Hennessy Shanghai Co., Ltd.||Shanghai||$85,600,000.00||3.0%|
|Nanpu Food (Group) Co., Ltd.||Shanghai||$73,200,000.00||2.5%|
|Allied Domecq Wine (Shanghai) Trading Co., Ltd.||Shanghai||$72,400,000.00||2.5%|
|China Great Wall Wine Co., Ltd.||Zhangjiakou, Hebei||$64,800,000.00||2.2%|
The list interestingly includes 2 of China’s most famous wine producers Changyu and Great Wall.
Presumably these companies are importing wine and then selling through their existing distribution channels.
This leads us nicely onto the next section of this article, the export of Chinese wine.
We already know that China imported US$3bn of wine between January 2011 and October 2014, but how much did the China wine industry export in the same period?
On initial inspection, the answer was a surprisingly high US$200m, which represents a respectable 7% of the import value.
However, it was found that 97% of these exports were deliveries to Hong Kong or Macau, leaving just a tiny 3% or US$6m of exports to overseas countries.
Three countries each accounted for approximately US$1m of exports during this period:
Whilst Mongolia’s presence is understandable, given that they are a neighboring and landlocked country, it is difficult to understand the presence of Australia and France.
Leave us a comment below if you have any theories!
China Checkup offers convenient and fast online verification services on Chinese companies, certificates and licenses.
For custom requirements on accessing China Customs data, please feel free to get in touch with us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Apart from the ubiquitous sourcing b2b platform alibaba.com, do you know any of the other Alibaba ecommerce platforms?
This article gives an overview of the Alibaba ecommerce platforms, most of which are aimed squarely at China's domestic market - notably the country's largest online marketplace Taobao.
Conducting China market research can be very challenging for foreign companies, due to the shortage of reliable information available in the English language.
From researching many topics for our articles, we have however found some websites which we go back to time and again, and decided it would be a good idea to share these with our readers.
Although many factory's have their own laboratories, few of these are independently certified so requesting testing by external testing body is a wise move in many circumstances.
These testing bodies should be accredited and you can make sure of this by requesting a copy of their China laboratory accreditation certificate.